Thursday 13 November 2008

The Bolivian Diet



My host father and sister...at my Birthday party last weekend...









Since arriving in Cochabamba some 11 weeks ago now, I have lost close to twenty pounds, although this isn’t a diet I would recommend. It has meant a couple of terrible weekends of illnesses, eating some strange and unknown foods, and losing one’s appetite. I’m glad to lose the weight but the process just isn’t that enjoyable! In this time of changes and transitions, the change in food and appetite is normal, as all of the reading has said, but it is often disconcerting. Sometimes I just want to have a McDonald’s burger and fries. Overall, though, I can say with certainty now that I am very happy for the five helpings of Finnish pancakes during my visit to Thunder Bay this summer. I am happy that I ate those chocolate dipped Dairy Queen cones and the Starbucks smartie cookies!! The weight from overeating in the summer is long past and my friend who told me to enjoy eating in my last few months in Canada was absolutely right...thanks!


These last three weeks have been very good ones, aside from the aforementioned weekend of illness. I took one week of vacation and went to a hotel for some quiet space alone. And then joined other students to go to “La Cabana”, a resort just out of the city. In the midst of language immersion, this weekend away was a wonderful blessing! Some played volleyball, tennis, soccer, and croquette while others of us read, relaxed, and sat by the pool. This respite in the midst of mental exhaustion has helped rejuvenate my spirit and mind for this last half of my education. Thanks to those who have sent emails of encouragement, reminding me to take care of myself in this time of transition and immersion!



This is part of the "CabaƱa" during the weekend vacation!










Spanish classes are going extremely well and for this next three weeks of studies, I will continue to have four classes each day. One class is for grammar, one for conversation, one class to practise leading the liturgy, and another class for reading as well as writing and giving a weekly sermon. This is a welcome focus at this point as I look to December and the move to Lima. With this in mind, I decided not to continue with my dance classes, as I will have much more homework. The zampona lessons continue, though, and today learned a new song, that’s five in total now. A good start! I continue to help one of the staff with his English and he is helping me learn Spanish Christian songs, it’s a good trade and a fun diversion from studies!




This photo is some friends at my BDay party...








As I celebrated my 39th Birthday a few days ago, we had a very large “fiesta” at my house. Around thirty students, staff, family and friends came out for the party, and do Bolivians ever know how to party! My host mom made Canadian-style lasagne with a tomato sauce for the first time ever. It turned out perfectly and my family seems to like this new food, too! So, we had lots of food, lots of people, lots of music and lots of dancing, well into the wee hours of the morning. Friends from the Institute brought their instruments and played traditional songs. And later, we danced some of the traditional Bolivian dances. This part of the night was a wonderful surprise gift!! So, another year older, perhaps another year wiser, certainly a few pounds lighter thanks to this Bolivian diet!


Thanks be to God for the gifts of grace and peace in this life...“Puesto que Dios ya nos ha hecho justos gracias a la fe, tenemos paz con Dios por medio de nuestro Senor Jesucristo.” Romans 5: 1

With peace and love,
Fran.

No comments: